Monday, July 12, 2010

how being a vegan has turned into being anorexic.

No, I do not refer to Anorexia lightly. However, my new diet has forced me to reflect on my eating habits and I don't think it's much of a habit anymore.
You see, I don't really cook. I've never been great at it and anything besides Kraft Dinner and Sloppy Joes is a veritable kitchen fire. So when I took on this new diet (for health, for my son, for furry creatures the world over) I guess I just overlooked the fact that easy preparation for a vegan dinner just doesn't exist. Even recipes referred to as "easy" call for ingredients I don't recognize and don't have in my pantry yet.
So I eat Muesli every morning. I drink coffee with soy milk. I snack on Ritz crackers and vegan cream cheese. I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables but aside from that, I haven't had a real MEAL yet!
So I am doing it. I am heading to the grocery store later and I am getting an eggplant and I am going to make an eggplant casserole if it kills me!

This one is from vegweb.com

Easy Eggplant Casserole

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

1 to 2 small eggplants
1 medium onion, minced
1 tablespoon vegan margarine
1 to 2 tablespoons corn starch or flour
Salt and pepper
Vegan cheddar cheeze
Splash soymilk

Directions:

1) Peel the egglant and cutting it into cubes. Discard the purple skin. Add the eggplant to a pot with the minced onion and margarine. Cover with water and cook until the eggplant is soft. Drain the eggplant and onions in a wire strainer or cheese cloth for several minutes to remove any excess water.

2) Put the eggplant and onions back into the pot, add salt and pepper to taste and add a splash of soymilk and 1 to 2 tablespoons of cornstarch or flour. Mash until creamy with a potato masher.

3) Transfer the mixture to a small, greased casserole dish and top with the cheddar cheeze. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until cheeze is melted and the eggplant is hot and bubbly.

Serves: 2 to 3 Preparation time: 20 to 30 minutes

join us