Thursday, March 31, 2011

a bow and arrow.

That's it, the kid is a year old now.  And I haven't uploaded pictures yet.  Whatever, I'll do it when I feel like it.  It's a huge pain in the ass because I don't have the USB cable (and haven't since I got the camera) so.. I don't want to explain it.  Just trust me that it's a real bitch to upload photos.

I am (obviously) very congratulatory of myself for surviving an entire year of motherhood!  And I am thriving!  I'm doing so much better than I thought I would, and Carter is surprisingly well-adjusted.  Hitting milestones in a timely fashion, smiling more than any other baby I've ever seen, saying BABYCAKES (he says it, I swear to you.  Sounds like GAY KAY, but he's saying BABYCAKES).  Mike and I are still in love with each other.  I'm exactly the size I was before I got pregnant (except for the bingo arms.  I do have  a slight case of the bingo arms).  At any rate, I did it guys!

This got me thinking about what my role is as a parent.
We were at Sears today and I was giving Carter some water to drink, and it dawned on me: he doesn't belong to me.  He stopped belonging to me the second that cord was cut.  I was his way in to the world.  I was the vessel that carried him to his first breath, and that is what my purpose has been.  It's not as sad as it sounds.  I want him to be his own person.  I don't want to own his feelings, or his thoughts, and I don't need to feel heartbroken when he sets off on a life of his own, without me.  This will eventually happen, of course.

He is the arrow.  And I am the bow.  And my job is of tantamount importance.  I steadily hold myself.  I take aim for as far as I possibly can.  And only when my aim is perfect and I am confident in my shot do I take it.  And that's what parenting is, to me.  Well, of course it's a lot more complicated than that, but that is the best metaphor I can think of.  A bow and an arrow.  One is hopeless without the other, and yet they are mutually exclusive and separate pieces altogether.

I think if people thought about things the way my over-reaching mind thinks of things, they would probably take their positions in life a lot more seriously.

join us