Tuesday, May 3, 2011

my 300th post!

The other day my brother and his wife had to move, so I was given the tremendous opportunity to babysit my sweet little niece Payton.  I was pretty excited.
Payton is almost 5 months old.  She's still a sweet little thing and she is just beginning to develop her own personality - my favourite part of babyhood.
Carter is 13 months old, so in comparison he is almost like a little kid.  Hardly any baby left in him.  So of course part of me is beginning to want another baby.  It's just human woman instinct.  Survival of the species and all that shit.  The need to keep procreating (and forgetting how much pregnancy sucks).
Anyway.
Payton was here and for the first 45 minutes or so, everything was great!  Carter was talking to her, she was smiling, I was starting to think this dual baby thing wasn't so hard after all.
But Carter got jealous.  And once Carter got jealous, there was no keeping the peace.
I couldn't hold the baby without Carter getting all bent out of shape.  He was screaming at me, giving me shit, throwing an absolute fit!  And I couldn't put Payton down because she had gotten hip to the game and decided that she was going to throw a fit if I paid Carter any attention.
So I was bouncing back and forth between crying babies like a pinball.
This went on for such a long time.  I thought I was going to get a break when Carter took a nap but he couldn't take his eyes off Payton.  She stole his mommy.  He was going to have to sleep with one eye open.
Eventually he got over-tired which only made things worse.  So I put him in his crib and let him cry himself to sleep (I never do this!)  And he eventually did.
Then Payton fell asleep.  But she woke up after 20 minutes in a great mood so we hung out and had a great time until my mom came home and saved me from the insanity.
Anyone who knows Carter will tell you that he is not the kind of kid to throw kinipshin fits because he's jealous of another kid.  But they would be wrong.  Because that's exactly what kind of kid he is.

Anyway, I'm just glad I realize now that I don't want to have another baby until Carter is old enough to pour his own cereal.

join us