Wednesday, July 14, 2010

the eggplant casserole disaster


So that eggplant casserole I've been planning to make? I finally made it last night.
I peeled the eggplant, I chopped the onions, I boiled them. I strained them, added soy milk and some corn starch. I mashed it all. I covered it all with the nastiest smelling "cheese" ever and I cooked it. Aaaand cooked it. And cooked it for well over an hour (I couldn't tell when it was done).
The "cheese" never melted! It never melted!
And I don't know how to tell when an eggplant casserole is cooked. Mike is in the next room literally gagging because it smells so terrible (that is all the "cheese"s fault). I put the spoon in and give it a try, and I wish I could tell you I was pleasantly surprised; But it was the most disgusting thing I've ever had in my mouth (and there have been some shameful things in there). I tried. I tried so hard to swallow it but in the end it dropped out of my face like the glob of shit it was, and the entire casserole was thrown out.
Just about ready to throw in the towel and head to McDonald's, Mike - the wonderful man that he is - encourages me to stick to what I've started and just make something else. He also said that being vegan most of the time was a lot better than being vegan none of the time (which happens to be what I tell myself before I eat a Ritter Sport.)
So in the kitchen I go, once again. I boil some noodles. I chop some tomatoes and some avocado, I mince some garlic. I drain the noodles and add all of the chopped up stuff, plus some olive oil and salt and pepper. It was simply divine. Light, tasty and perfect. I was back on the wagon once again.
Now. As much as I'd like to encourage others to give a vegan lifestyle a try, it really is hard work. I have great willpower and I struggle sometimes.
2 things in my fridge that I regret buying and will never touch again: soy yogurt and that nasty "cheese" that doesn't melt and smells like the basement of a haunted house in hell. I don't exaggerate. It is that gross.
So yes, try to cut down on meat products and meat bi-products. It's better for you, better for the environment and better for your chi (yes, I do believe that). Try living a cruelty-free lifestyle! It's not just for hippies anymore. Just ask Zooey Deschanel. But heed my warnings and stay far away from the yogurt and cheese.

mum jams: Aerodynamic - Daft Punk

join us