Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Villains


People always ask you that, "if your life were a book, would you read it?"
In my case, I probably wouldn't. But that's hardly the point. It is a story noner the lesser, and I write it every day. I am the protagonist, Mike is the hero and Carter is the climax (pun intended zing!). But every so often a nasty villain makes their way into my story, and I cannot allow them to derail my plot progression. Pesky fuckers.
Is there a villain in your story?

About villains, and I pulled this from Wikipedia: The villain usually is the antagonist, the character who tends to have a negative effect on other characters. A female villain is sometimes called a villainess (often to differentiate her from a male villain). Random House Unabridged Dictionary defines villain as "a cruelly malicious person who is involved in or devoted to wickedness or crime; scoundrel; or a character in a play, novel, or the like, who constitutes an important evil agency in the plot" Or in other words A Big Fat Jerk.

So I will ask again, is there a villain in your story?
Is there someone in your life depleting your emotional reserves? Is there someone in your life who causes you more grief than happiness? Is there someone who could walk in a room and ruin your day immediately?
I have slain several villains, because that's what the protagonist has to do. Read a book. Any. You'll see what I mean. Those of you who have already read a few books in your day are following what I'm saying. Good for you. Literacy is very important. Read to your children. ANYWAY ...
When it comes to villains, usually I am all about turning the other cheek. To a degree. When you have turned the other cheek so often that your head is about to turn right around a la exorcist, I'd say enough is enough.
You don't have to physically slay your villain.
Sometimes words are just the thing.
Sometimes, a person needs to be told when they are out of line.
Sometimes an asshole needs to be called an asshole.

It's all in the interest of making your story the best you can. Slay your fucking villain.

join us