Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Dear Carter

You're almost 6 months old now!  That's half a year!  Already!
It flew by.  Somehow, together we got through it all: the first time I ever changed a diaper to being up all night to the time I fell down the stairs with you in my arms (you were fine, but it scared the shit out of you.)

I never wanted to have a baby.  But don't let that make you sad, because you're here now and without you I wouldn't be myself at all.  You really made me get to know myself a lot more.  I don't even know who that person was that didn't want to have a baby... And you made me realize that if I can keep a baby alive and happy, I can do anything in the world.  And you're such a happy guy.  Yesterday, our doctor said you're the happiest baby he knows and he isn't the first person to say that.  It must have been all the anti-depressants I was taking while you were in my uterus.  Just Kiddin!

You're teething a lot lately.  And you wake up crying a lot during the night.  And at some point I usually pick you up and bring you to bed beside me and cuddle you back to sleep.  I can't believe the supreme super powers I possess - I can make you all better just by holding you and kissing you.  Nobody else can do that like I can.  I've never been more proud of anything in all my life.  So thanks, bug.  You do just as much for me as I do for you.

Now that you're getting a little bigger we can start having a little more fun.  We can take walks down the beach, visit the zoo, play in the snow, you're going to love it.  This weekend we're going to Granny and Grandpa's trailer so you can go trick-or-treating.  You're going to be a lion, and you're going to get mommy all kinds of candy!!  You're so thoughtful.

I just want you to know that we will always have good days and bad days, but deep down inside I will always be happy because I gave life to this little person who just loves it so much already.  I already know that you're going to be a risk-taker.  You're going to wear your heart on your sleeve and you're going to be a talker.  It's strange all the things you can get to know about a person before they even know it themselves.

I love you, Mowgli.
Now finish your nap and I will see you in about 2 hours.

Love, Mum.

join us