Wednesday, April 6, 2011

John Keats Will Understand

Welcome Joy, And Welcome Sorrow
Welcome joy, and welcome sorrow, 
Lethe's weed and Hermes' feather; 
Come to-day, and come to-morrow, 
I do love you both together! 
I love to mark sad faces in fair weather; 
And hear a merry laugh amid the thunder; 
Fair and foul I love together. 
Meadows sweet where flames are under, 
And a giggle at a wonder; 
Visage sage at pantomine; 
Funeral, and steeple-chime; 
Infant playing with a skull; 
Morning fair, and shipwreck'd hull; 
Nightshade with the woodbine kissing; 
Serpents in red roses hissing; 


-Welcome Joy, And Welcome Sorrow
Cleopatra regal-dress'd 
With the aspic at her breast; 
Dancing music, music sad, 
Both together, sane and mad; 
Muses bright and muses pale; 
Sombre Saturn, Momus hale;--
Laugh and sigh, and laugh again; 
Oh the sweetness of the pain! 
Muses bright, and muses pale, 
Bare your faces of the veil; 
Let me see; and let me write 
Of the day, and of the night - 
Both together: - let me slake 
All my thirst for sweet heart-ache! 
Let my bower be of yew, 
Interwreath'd with myrtles new; 
Pines and lime-trees full in bloom, 
And my couch a low grass-tomb.




Song. I Had A Dove
I had a dove, and the sweet dove died;
And I have thought it died of grieving:
O, what could it grieve for? its feet were tied
With a single thread of my own hand's weaving;
Sweet little red feet, why should you die--
Why should you leave me, sweet bird, why?
You lived alone in the forest tree,
Why, pretty thing! would you not live with me?
I kiss'd you oft and gave you white peas;
Why not live sweetly, as in the green trees?

join us