Saturday, July 7, 2012

Oh, The Day I've Had

Bad day.  Bad bad day.

It all started last night.  I watched 20/20 and decided that I want my kids to be Buddhist-ish (that is to say, I want them to have Buddhist principles but not feel the need to label themselves with any religion unless they choose to).  I was feeling pretty good about it because we already have a big happy Buddha at the top of the stairs.  So I crossed that off my list of Buddhist-ish things I have to do before I start teaching my kids about compassion and kharma and reaching nirvana, and tucked myself in.

I couldn't sleep.  I tossed and turned and I couldn't shut my mind off.  I got up to look for some nyquil or anything else that might make me drowsy.  Found some Gravol.  Gravol didn't work.  Then, I'm guessing this was around 2 in the morning or something ridiculous like that, I hear running down the hall.  Pad pad pad pad pad, and I roll over and Carter is smiling right into my face.  "Mum!" he says.  Awesome.  So now I have the little devil who has nightmares sleeping beside me, and on the other side I have a 200 pound beast who spends all night sawing logs.  After Carter's foot ended up cutting off all blood supply to my brain at around 3 am, I moved into Carter's bed.  But I still couldn't sleep.  But I did figure out why Carter doesn't want to be in there.  Mice.  Just running around his bedroom.  Awesome.  At around 5 this morning, Mike gets up for work.  So Iask him nicely if he can pick up 3 redbull for me before he heads off, which he does and which I love him for.  I crawl back into our bed with Carter and snuggle in, but after about a 45 minute nap I am awakened by little Oliver.  Again: awesome.  So now we're up.  The weather looks miserable.  Carter takes this day to sleep in until 9:00, of course.  I chug my first redbull and feel like how I imagine crackheads must feel after a bender on the pipe. 

Yadda yadda yadda, some other stuff happens.  And then I put Carter down or his nap, and I expect it's going well becuse it's quiet up there for a really long time.  Buuuuuut then I hear a squeal of delight coming from my bedroom and - wouldn't you know it - the little goober is up there squirting BLACK PAINT all over my 800 thread count WHITE, EGYPTIAN COTTON BED SHEETS!


But I'm pretty cool about it, all in all.

Carter.  What did you just do?
Yes.  What did you just do.
Did you just paint mommy's bed?
Are you supposed to paint mommy and daddy's bed?
nods.  Squirts more paint.


So I make him help me wash the sheets.  He loves this.  Go figure.

My sheets are ruined, by the way.  My beautiful sheets. 

Yadda yadda yadda, some other stuff happens.  I make a delicious dinner, Carter doesn't eat it, yadda yadda yadda...
Tanya's computer has been here for a while now.  So I'm just using it, doing my thing, checking facebook, and BAM!  Carter has thrown one of his little people toys at the screen and it goes black.  Except for one little area at the top left hand corner which you can clearly discern as the point of impact.  Because it looks like shattered LCD screen.  Greeeeeeeeeeeeat.
This is also the precise moment when Mke walks in and I start to cry, because we can't afford to buy a laptop to replace Tanya's, I haven't had any sleep, I can't go back to crappy sheets again after experiencing egyptian cotton, and we REALLY can't afford to buy a laptop but obviously we have to.  So off we go.  To Future Shop.  Where we buy a laptop that we can't afford.  It has a little thumbprint scanner, which is pretty cool, and it is really shiny and nice and new but if Carter breaks it, I swear to God and all that is holy I am going to put him up for adoption.

And it is on this nice new shiny laptop (for you, Tanya!) on which I write this post.

What a day.

I'm going to bed early tonight.

join us